iLIDLIFT – A Gentle Form Of Eyelid Surgery
Learn why many hundreds of men and women have chosen Dr. Michael Bense for cosmetic eyelid surgical procedures.
When you choose Dr. Michael Bense to perform your upper, lower or double eyelid cosmetic surgery you are having your procedure done by one of Eastern Canada’s foremost aesthetic eye specialists, not a general Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, Otolaryngologist (ENT), Facial Plastic Surgeon or General Practitioner.
While these other medical service providers are permitted to do an eyelid cosmetic surgery, they do not have the same qualifications as eye surgeons like Dr. Bense, who has performed over 30,000 eye surgeries and hundreds of cosmetic eyelid surgeries, and who specializes in disease and conditions affecting the eyes and eyelids.
What is a cosmetic blepharoplasty?
Cosmetic eyelid surgery, known medically as Cosmetic Blepharoplasty, corrects sagging eyelids, removes fatty bulges above and below the eyes, and eliminates hanging skin from upper or lower eyelids. Cosmetic eyelid surgery can be performed as a stand-alone procedure or combined with other procedures such as an internal browpexy, BrowLift with silhouette sutures or laser skin resurfacing. The registered procedure pioneered by Dr. Bense is the iLIDLIFT TM, which incorporates all of the above using a blade-free CO2 laser technique.
Blade-free upper blepharoplasty corrects sagging upper eyelids and removes fatty bulges above the eyes.
Transconjunctival blade-free lower blepharoplasty corrects sagging lower eyelids and removes fatty deposits below the eyes. Our CO2 laser creates a lower lid internal incision; the eyelid surgery is performed through the inside of the eyelid which means that no visible external scar.
Laser skin resurfacing on the lower eyelids is what makes Dr. Bense’s iLIDLIFT™ unique and much sought after. Laser skin resurfacing, combined with blepharoplasty is a same-day, outpatient procedure. “With laser skin resurfacing, a highly skilled surgeon can remove one layer of skin at a time with virtually no thermal damage or scarring,” explains Dr. Bense. “It’s an incredible breakthrough that literally smoothes wrinkles and lines.”
Depending on your age, facial anatomy, and desired outcome, in consultation with Dr. Bense one of the following procedures may be recommended for optimal results:
- Internal Browpexy is sometimes added to an iLIDLIFT to patients over 50. Over 50 years of age, most people in the aging process develop temporal brow droopiness. An iLIDLIFT does not address brow problems. To correct this, we do an internal browpexy by suturing the brow at 1 cm above the orbit.
- BrowLift with Silhouette sutures is a revolutionary non-invasive facelift outpatient procedure that uses silhouette sutures to give a significant lift to the brow.
The iLIDLIFT™ Procedure
An “iLIDLIFT” (upper eyelid blepharoplasty) reduces excess skin and fat in the upper eyelids. The procedure involves making an incision in the fold of the upper eyelids and removing excess skin and fat. Bense SurgiSpa uses no blades but a 100% blade-free CO2 laser to construct these incisions.
The incision is closed with fine sutures. iLIDLIFT incisions are made with a laser in the eye’s natural “lines”, they are barely visible following the procedure and fade away gradually over time. Moreover, when the eyes are open, the incisions are hidden.
Baggy eyelids are treated with the removal of fatty bags and excess skin.
Cosmetic surgery of the lower eyelid involves the reduction of puffy or baggy eyes. During this procedure, a blade-free laser incision is made on the inside of the lower eyelid. Excess fat is removed and the incision heals without sutures. Any incisions made on the inside of the eyelids are not visible. External lower lid incisions are not usually required. If incisions are required, they are barely visible and fade over time.
The skin of the lower lid is treated with our Sciton laser skin resurfacing technology to reduce wrinkles and tighten skin in all directions naturally.
Some patients are candidates for both lower, and upper eyelid procedures and individuals of Asian heritage can have an Asian blepharoplasty, also known as “double eyelid surgery.”
Why combine Laser skin resurfacing in the iLIDLIFT Procedure?
The introduction of laser skin rejuvenation in the 1990s represented a breakthrough in eyelid cosmetic surgery because it gave patients the opportunity to achieve a healthier and more youthful appearance with minimal post treatment healing.
Laser skin resurfacing, combined with blepharoplasty and is a same-day, outpatient treatment.
Dr. Bense also emphasizes the importance of taking into account a patient’s skin type. “When you are contemplating the potential effectiveness of laser skin resurfacing, you have to keep in mind that people with lighter skins tend to get the best results. You can also get good results with individuals who have a darker complexion, but you have to take extra steps, before and after the CO2 laser treatment. There is no substitute for experience.”
Good results are possible for most patients when laser skin resurfacing is used to:
- Smooth and tighten eyelid skin
- Reduce crow’s feet wrinkles
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles (on face especially upper lip, cheeks, and forehead)
- Soften pucker marks and frown lines
- Repair smoker’s lines and lipstick bleed around the mouth
- Flatten and improve the appearance of scars
- Reduce brown spots or blotchy uneven skin color
- Smooth the skin on your entire face
We often hear the eyes are the “windows to the soul.” Eyes are among the most attractive features of a person’s face, particularly when we are young. But the areas around our eyes are also the first – and most noticeable – areas to show signs of aging, such as “droopy” or “baggy” eyes. It’s also possible that the puffiness around your eyes may be the result of a hereditary condition or a family trait. In severe situations, you may have impaired field of vision, typically caused by baggy upper eyelids or difficulty wearing glasses, caused by baggy lower eyelids. Other conditions that can impair your vision include eye injury or eyelids that roll in or out.
With the use of our CO2 Laser technology, the 100% blade-free iLIDLIFT™ procedure is more patient friendly in the following ways:
- Less swelling and bruising
- Little or no bleeding
- High level of accuracy
- More rapid recovery
- Outpatient procedure performed under local anesthesia
- Wrinkles near incisions can be be treated with laser skin resurfacing
- Internal ptosis repair (droopy upper eyelid or blepharoptosis)
- Fat transposition in the upper and lower eyelids to address hollow eyes and tear trough deformities
- Lacrimal gland repositioning if needed
- Lateral canthoplasty (closed) to tighten the lower eyelid
- Festoon excision in the face if needed
- Pinch Blepharoplasty (Excise excess lower eyelid skin if needed)
- Internal suture browpexy
- Sub-periosteal mid cheek (mid-face) (SOOF) lift
- Lateral Tarsal Strip
- Silhouette Threadlift of the mid face and jowls: (Scarless mid facelift)
- Fillers in the face
- Microfat grafting as a filler to hollow facial areas, tear trough, lips, folds and wrinkles
- Men and women who are physically healthy
- Psychologically stable
- Realistic expectations
- Patients are mostly 35 or older, but if droopy, baggy eyelids run in your family, you may decide to have eyelid surgery at a younger age.
Advantages of Upper iLIDLIFT™ over Traditional Blepharoplasty:
- More precise with less trauma to tissues
- Little or no bleeding
- Eyelid anatomy is easily identified
- Less surgical time
- Rapid patient recovery
- Most important – little or no bruising after the surgery, thus less swelling
- Combining wrinkle treatment and skin tightening using the laser resurfacing technology with iLIDLIFT tends to bring more pleasing results.
Advantages of Lower iLIDLIFT™ over Traditional Blepharoplasty:
- Very precise, quick, easy procedure compared to conventional surgery where much of the time is spent finding the bleeders and cauterizing them
- No visible skin incision
- Less irritation and trauma to the eyelid because of less traction on the eyelid
- Fewer complications
- Less likely to change the shape of the lower eyelid
- Very low incidence of post-operative bleeding and bruising
There is some inherent risk in every surgical procedure, including eyelid surgery. However, when a highly experienced eye specialist like Dr. Bense does an eyelid surgery, the risk of complications is low.There are more risks for individuals with certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes. Dr. Bense will assess your medical condition before making any recommendations, which could include surgery or less invasive cosmetic procedures.
Since Dr. Bense has performed more of these surgeries than any other doctor in St, John’s, you can trust that he will achieve a satisfactory result the first time. Moreover, he is a recognized expert in corrective surgeries and as such knows why procedures go wrong, and, more important, how to avoid those problems.
- Perfection does not exist – surgeon, wound, or pre-existing anatomy. A realistic expectation is 75-90% improvement in the upper eyelids and a 60-80% improvement in the lower eyelids.
- The procedure can take anywhere from 1-1.5 hours to perform.
- A local anesthetic is used, in combination with an oral sedative. While you are awake during the procedure, the area treated is numbed, and you will not feel any pain.
- iLidlift is 100% blade-free. Therefore, the downtime is significantly reduced.
- Sutures in the upper eyelids are removed after 7 days.
- Most normal activities may be resumed within a few days, individual results may vary. Strenuous activity should be avoided for at least a few weeks. Time off work will vary from person to person.